2014 Health Fair encourages students to remember wellness

Different books and pamphlets were available for attendees of the fair to look at during the event.Kirsten Henagin and Kjerstin Engebretson play with a therapy dog present at the Concordia Health Fair on March 14.Students file through the Centrum on March 14 looking at various booths set up by different companies and organizations from around the Fargo- Moorhead area; all of whom participated in the Health Fair.

The Parke Student Leadership Center with the help of Concordia’s Campus Entertainment Commission, opened the Centrum March 14 to 35 on-campus and off-campus organizations associated with health, mental health, wellness and healthy lifestyle choices.

Jieun Park, wellness intern and health fair coordinator, said that the health fair is used to benefit all who go and not just for informational purposes.

“The purpose of this health fair is to promote healthy lifestyles in the six areas of wellness: physical, emotional, spiritual, environmental, intellectual and occupational health,” Park said.

The booths available represented various topics, ranging from information bipolar disorder, anxiety, options for dog therapy, organ donation, counseling options and more. Sanford Health Center was also in attendance.

Students were encouraged to start conversations with organizations, faculty and their fellow peers on how to promote wellness, both physically and mentally.

Park, who hopes to work in the community health field eventually, has always been passionate about nutrition and wellness. After a five-month process of planning Park hopes the health fair will “impact students to make better choices about their health.”

Concordia College offers free individual, couple and group counseling services to all students through the Counseling Center, located in Academy 106, for students seeking personal clarity. They were present at the health fair as well.

To join the conversation about reducing the stigma against mental illness, the on-campus organization, Active Minds will be hosting a student-led panel/discussion on March 19 at 7:30 p.m. in Jones 210.

To learn more about Concordia College’s resources for Health and Wellness you can visit:
http://www.concordiacollege.edu/student-life/student-services-resources/health-wellness/.