College actress takes the stage in student-directed show 

MOORHEAD – Theater students are gearing up for the third installment of the 2023-24 academic year, “The Bald Soprano” by Eugene Ionesco.  

“The Bald Soprano” is directed by senior theatre and English writing major, Caden Nestler. 

Nestler held auditions in Nov. 2023, where he selected six student actors: Carlos O’Ryan, Isaac Wayne, Parker Degerness, Mya Lysne, Megan Gunnerson and Patrice Eakman. Nestler is producing “The Bald Soprano” with senior theatre student, Jackson Peterson.  

“It is a student directed and stage-managed production, so it’s really like we’ve all just been hanging around as friends running around making theatre and doing silly accents,” said Eakman, a senior theatre student.  

Eakman is no stranger to the stage. The Cloquet native has performed in eight productions during her time at Concordia. She has starred in “Guys and Dolls” as Sergeant Sarah Brown, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” as Hermia and her favorite role to date, Janet Weiss in “The Rocky Horror Show”.  

Eakman was involved in theatre long before coming to college. “It’s where I’ve met some of my favorite friends in the world, and there have been so many accessible opportunities to grow as a theatre maker,” Eakman said. 

Now, Eakman is adding the character of Mrs. Smith to her resume.  

“The Bald Soprano” focuses on the Smith couple, the Martin couple, Mary and the Fire Chief. The absurdist comedy focuses on the six characters sharing stories and engaging in banter with each other.     

“The show is about a bunch of British people sitting around being absurd. It’s so silly. I can almost promise you will laugh at least once. And it’s so important to support the arts!” Eakman said.  

When not performing, Eakman is always looking for new ways to improve her skills and highlight her talents.  

Last year Eakman attended the Southeastern Theatre Conference (SETC). This March, she is going to Mobile, Alabama, to take part in her second SETC. Eakman will be able to attend keynotes, professional development seminars, interviews and auditions for large companies across the nation.  

Eakman also takes the opportunities that theatre offers through their musical programming and opportunities for employment.  

“I love that we bring in a guest instructor every year for the musical! It’s great to meet people who work in the industry and having the opportunity to collaborate with them.” Eakman said.  

Most recently, Eakman worked with Denise Holland-Bethke, a choreographer that works on touring Broadway shows to rehearse and train with the dancers in the show. In the Fall of 2023, Eakman took Holland-Bethke’s Musical Theatre Dance Intensive. The class focused on technique, audition preparation and how to learn choreography quicker. 

Megan Gunnerson, another member of “The Bald Soprano” and the Musical Theatre Dance Intensive with Holland-Bethke, has been performing with Eakman for the past year.  

“The effort that she (Patrice) makes is truly remarkable. In “The Bald Soprano”, we have been able to work together yet again, and it has been an unforgettable experience. Performing with her in “Midsummer” and “Guys and Dolls” has been so inspiring and she is an inspiration for the younger actresses in our department. I am so excited for audiences to see her in this show and experience the absurdity of it with us!” Gunnerson said.   

Outside of being involved on stage, Eakman works in the Theatre Department as a stitcher in the costume shop. 

For those interested in attending “The Bald Soprano”, the show runs from Feb. 15-17 at 8 p.m., and Feb. 18 at 2 p.m. Tickets for the Lab Theatre Production are free to students and can be accessed on the Concordia College Theatre Department website.