“Daisy Jones and the Six” is a musical time capsule

Amazon Prime is serving book lovers, classic rock dads, and “born-in-the-wrong-generation” Gen Zers a heaping portion of Emmy and Grammy-worthy content this month. The highly anticipated miniseries adaptation of Taylor Jenkins Reid’s “Daisy Jones and the Six” premieres on Friday, March 3, 2023, and based on the promo, we have gotten so far this book-to-TV adaptation is going to be a smash hit.  

“Daisy Jones” tells the story of the rise and fall of the titular band, a Fleetwood Mac inspired 70s rock band featuring the musical stylings of ultimate pop diva Daisy Jones and questionable heartthrob Billy Dunne, along with a cast of other equally fictional rock and rollers. It is the epitome of “sex, drugs, and rock ‘n’ roll,” and will come with an entire record of original tracks performed by Daisy Jones and the Six themselves. 

Songwriting credits on the album include Jackson Browne, Mumford and Sons’s Marcus Mumford, Madison Cunningham, and Phoebe Bridgers. The album is anticipated to be a beautiful amalgamation of folk, pop, power ballads, and pure classic rock. If you’re someone who believes “they don’t make music like they used to these days,” then this March might give you renewed hope.  

Many of the vocals on the album are performed by the actors themselves, consisting of names like Sam Claflin, Riley Keough, Suki Waterhouse, and Nabiyah Be. Two singles have already dropped, and with two dozen more tracks on their way, the greatest band that never was is finally going to get the recognition they deserve.  

“Regret Me”  

This track absolutely wails. Right off the bat, you are thrown back to the 70s with the incredibly full instrumentals, built upon a gnarly and memorable guitar riff and some fun rock organ to back it up. The producers do a great job of mimicking the sound of the 1970s and do a great job of making this soundtrack single sound acceptable as a stand-alone track, something that many TV albums fail to do. As for vocals, it is a true duet. Throughout the track, Claflin and Keough’s vocals shine, which is a surprise considering neither of them were trained singers or considered themselves vocalists before shooting the show. The lyrics give a glimpse into the themes of the show, with the chorus singing “You’ll regret me and I’ll regret you // You couldn’t handle your liquor and you can’t seem to handle the truth”. It transports us to 1970’s LA with mentions of Pacific Coast Highway and bright summery sounding melodies.  

“Look At Us Now (Honeycomb)”  

This one really was a gift to fans of “Rumors.” With a soft acoustic guitar and a simple kick drum intro, followed by verses with themes of fading relationships and a crazy guitar solo during the bridge, it feels like a sequel to Fleetwood Mac’s hit “The Chain.” Once again it features both Claflin and Keough on vocals, but we get a chance to hear their individual voices, with Billy singing in verse 1 about not knowing who he is and holding onto relationships, a major theme in the book, and Daisy singing “No one knows who you are” in response to him in verse 2. Although Taylor Jenkins Reid’s original lyrics for this song were not used in this track, it excites me to see how the themes of this song intertwine with the story when the band writes it.  

“Daisy Jones and the Six” will be released on Friday, March 3, 2023 on Prime Video.