Golf prepares for fall season

Submitted photo. Sophomore golfer Molly Zavadil takes a swing at a meet this past fall. The men’s and women’s teams don’t officially start their season until August, but they have already started preseason training and will continue to practice throughout the summer.

While the official start of golf season is not until August, members of the men and women’s teams have started preparing for the upcoming season.

Since the weather hasn’t been up to par, sophomore golf player Amy Mireault and some of her teammates have gone to the Bubble, a sports facility in Fargo, to practice. Mireault and her fellow teammates use a simulator at the Bubble to play on virtual courses and hone their skills. The athletes also use the indoor driving range to get more distance on their swings.

According to sophomore Samuel Christian, the men’s team has also been practicing at the Bubble as well as in Concordia’s gym.

The teams have also also made an effort to get outdoors. Sophomore Dana Meslow said that several women on her team have traveled to South Dakota and taken advantage of warmer weather to practice.

As summer break approaches, the women are trying to figure out what they will be doing for the next three months and making sure they put aside time to practice. According to Meslow, head coach Duane Siverson keeps up with the women during the offseason to see what they’re doing to prepare for the upcoming season.

“(Siverson) understands we work during the summer,” Meslow said. “He wants us to stay in shape for the upcoming season.”

Throughout the summer, the players will be working on developing as individual athletes in order to improve their team this coming season.

“Overall, we need to have lower scores,” Meslow said.

Mireault said the women’s golf team will have new players this coming fall and the whole team, returning players and new ones, will come to Moorhead a week before the semester begins to start practicing as a team. Tryouts will take place then as well.

Mireault said she is looking forward to starting off the upcoming season right and can’t wait to see some new faces this coming fall.

“It would be great to get some new players,” Mireault said.