“Guys and Dolls” to open November 9 

MOORHEAD -“Guys and Dolls,” a Broadway classic and best musical Tony-award winner, is set to open at the Frances Frazier Comstock Theatre on Thursday, Nov. 9. 

“Guys and Dolls” follows two gangsters, Sky Masterson and Nathan Detroit, as well as their love interests, Sarah Brown and Miss Adelaide, respectively.  

“Guys and Dolls is a musical about two different love stories: one that has been in the works for 14 years and one that is new and freshly blooming,” said fifth year student, Mary Noah who plays Adelaide. “So it’s a bunch of very eccentric, fun, bright colorful characters getting together and working through the ups and downs of their goofy lives together.” 

The show is set in 1950s Manhattan, and revolves around a $1000 bet between the gambling-addicted Nathan and Sky. 

“Sky has made a bet with Nathan for $1000 that Sky can’t take Sarah to Havana. Sarah is this really uptight missionary, and so Nathan thinks that it’s free money because there’s no way Sky’s gonna take Sarah to Havana.” said first year student, Autumn Dovre who is an ensemble member. “But Sky does sort of seduce Sarah, and they go to Havana and end up falling in love.” 

Rehearsals for “Guys and Dolls” started on Sept. 6, and the cast rehearses from 7 to 10 p.m. every Sunday through Thursday. The cast is smaller than previous Concordia shows, with only 21 cast members. Thirteen of them are ensemble members.  

While the cast is small, they’ve spent a lot of time perfecting the music, acting and the dancing in the show. Concordia’s rendition of “Guys and Dolls” strongly focuses on the dance aspect.  

“It’s been a lot of dancing. I was dancing last night from 7 to 10 p.m., pretty much,” Dovre said. “And when I’m not at rehearsal, I’m in the lounge at Park Region dancing and practicing.” 

The show is directed by Denise Holland Bethke, a world-renowned choreographer who’s serving as the department’s guest director for the semester. She’s worked with celebrities such as Jennifer Lopez and did choreography for the show “F.R.I.E.N.D.S.” 

“She’s amazing. She’s from Sweden and she is a professional choreographer,” said third year student, Kylie Snobeck, who works as stage manager for the musical. “Her most recent project is that she goes around to the touring productions of Disney’s Anastasia and sets their choreography. And now she’s here choreographing our production of Guys and Dolls.” 

The set, designed by associate theatre professor Christian Boy, is more open and less technical than previous Concordia musicals. This was done in order to give more stage space for the heavy dancing required by “Guys and Dolls.”  

“I don’t wanna spoil what it’s gonna look like, but it’s quite a beautiful composition. It frames what’s happening on stage really well and then the lights just compliment it,” Noah said.  

The show has performances Nov. 9 through 11, and 16 through 18 at 8 p.m., and one on Nov. 12 at 2 p.m. Concordia offers free admission to students, faculty, alumni, their families and future students.  

“I think one thing to know about this show is that it’s a classic. It’s got some dated moments, which I think is part of its charm. It is very much not contemporary and it’s refreshing,” Snobeck said, “It’s pretty to listen to. It’s dynamic to watch. The choreography is fantastic. So, I’m hoping that people can come get involved and see what the theatre department’s been up to.”