Inaugural Nornes Lectureship in Neuroscience

The Neuroscience program at Concordia is pleased to announce the inaugural Nornes Lectureship in Neuroscience March 14. The daylong event featuring student and faculty work will conclude with a lecture addressing the psychology and neuroscience of eating disorders by Dr. Stephen A. Wonderlich at 7 p.m. in the Centrum, Knutson Campus Center. The lecture, titled “Bulimia Nervosa: Translating from Biobehavioral Science to Clinical Intervention,” is free and open to the public.

Wonderlich, a 1978 Concordia graduate, is the Chester Fritz Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, and associate chair of the department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences. He currently holds a joint appointment with Sanford Health, where he is the chair of Eating Disorders and co-director of the Eating Disorder and Weight Management Center. He also serves as the director of Clinical Research at the Neuropsychiatric Research Institute in Fargo.

The Nornes Lectureship in Neuroscience was the vision of Dr. Howard. O. Nornes for the benefit of Concordia students and faculty, and to the broader community. Nornes obtained a doctorate in neuroscience from Purdue University and did postdoctoral research at the University of Lund, Sweden, and the Max Planck Institute, Göttingen, Germany. He is professor emeritus of neuroscience at Colorado State University and continues to teach courses in neuroplasticity of the adult brain. His major research interest was the development and regeneration of the nervous system.

The Lectureship was created through generous gifts from the Howard ’53 and Sonia (Nelsen) ’58, and the LaVern ’54 and Lois (Austin) ’56 Nornes families.

This article is a press release from Concordia’s Communications and Marketing department.