Recycling is Dumb

Well, here we are in the seventh week of RecycleMania, and I for one am getting frustrated. Concordia is currently in 259th place in the Per Capita Classic category- Gustavus, St. John’s, St. Ben’s, and St. Thomas are all way ahead of us.  We are getting SCHOOLED!  At this point, we might as well give up, right?  I mean, what’s so great about recycling anyway?

…Actually, I can think of a few things that are pretty neat about recycling.  For one thing, Minnkota Recycling Plant serves the entire F/M area and provides a lot of jobs for the community.  They also make generous donations to community organizations, and even campus groups like the Summer Field Study in Rwanda.

Plus, everything that gets recycled is NOT in a landfill.  Landfills may not be the worst thing humans inflict on the environment, but they are not very friendly places for plants and animals.

Also, I suppose it’s pretty cool that recycling helps conserve resources.  Petroleum, trees, aluminum, and tin are all nice things to have around.

But even if recycling itself is cool, why do we have to do this competition?  All we’re doing is losing!

If you’re as frustrated about this as I am, maybe we can work together to figure this out.  The only solution I see is to RECYCLE MORE and show those other schools what we’re made of!

Even if you think recycling is dumb, one thing is never dumb: WINNING.  Go get ‘em!