Silver Linings and Other Films Worth Your Time

Hey everyone, my name is Matt and I am a History and Religion major here at Concordia who has a passionate love for film.  Because of this I’ve decided to write about films that I think are worth your time to watch and that you should make time for during your study breaks this semester.  The basic format of how I will present the films to you involves first a discussion of the films I’ve been watching recently, second the films that are in and will be coming to theatres that I believe look interesting, and third and finally special film events that might be worth checking out in our F/M area.  So let’s start talking about film! (To show my ratings for a film I will use a star scale with five stars being the best and one star being the worst a film could possibly be.)

The most recent film I’ve watched is Silver Linings Playbook (2012) directed by David O. Russell (The Fighter, I Heart Huckabees, Anchorman)  and stars Bradley Cooper (The Hangover:1 & 2, Limitless, The Words),  Jennifer Lawrence (The Hunger Games), and Robert De Niro (Goodfellas, The Godfather, Meet the Parents).  Taking place in Philadelphia, PA this film follows the journey of Pat Solitano (Cooper) who has just been checked out of a mental hospital for anger management issues and sporadic behavior, moving back home with his parents to find a way to pull his life back together and gain the love and respect of his wife.  While trying to figure things out, Pat meets a girl named Tiffany (Lawrence) who also has problems in her life and they work together to help each other attempt to bring sanity to clamor that racks their souls.  Filled with moments of utter chaos that will have you laughing and shouting at once, this film speaks to the importance of family values and fighting for what you want in life.  It is nominated for eight Academy Awards including best performance by leading actor and actress, best director, and best picture of the year.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1045658/ I give this film a 5 star rating.

Other films that I have recently watched include:

• Into the West (1992) 4 star rating: An Irish film about two boys and the legend of a magical horse.
  • The Secret of Roan Inish (1994) 5 star rating: An Irish film about a lost child and the legend of the Selkie: a seal that can turn into a human.
  • I Am  (2010) 4 star rating: A documentary about film director Tom Shadyac’s journey to find the meaning in life.

Top Films in Theatres:

• The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey (2012): 5 star rating
  • Les Miserables (2012): 4 star rating
  • Lincoln (2012): 5 star rating
  • 007: Skyfall (2012): 5 star rating
  • Silver Lining Playbook (2012): 5 star rating
  • The Impossible (2012): Want to see
  • Life of Pi (2012): Want to see
  • Gangster Squad (2012): Want to see
  • Django Unchained (2012): want to see

Coming Soon to Theatres:

• Hansel and Gretel (2013): In Theatres January 25
  • Parker (2013): In Theatres January 25
  • Knife Fight (2013):  In Theatres January 25
  • Warm Bodies (2013): In Theatres February 1
  • Stand Up Guys (2013):  In Theatres February 1

A special event will be taking place this Thursday, January 24th at 7 p.m. at the Fargo Theatre in which the premiere of the film The Road to Little Rock: the Courage and Conviction of Judge Ronald Davies will be shown free to the public.

All the films in the lists here can be found on imdb.com if you want to learn more about them.  If you have any questions or recommendations of films you think are good, feel free to leave a recommendation.