Tailgating: A fun tradition at Homecoming

The Tailgating Committee started planning their event nine months ago. After a lot of preparation, one early morning and more than 140 handmade posters, the tailgating began.

Students, alumni, families and fans all gathered in camaraderie at the tailgating event before the homecoming game.

This year the event took place at noon next to the football field.

Homecoming tailgating is entirely student organized. The Tailgating Committee and sub-committee put on the event.

The event provided yard games, a photo booth, a bounce house, face painting, food and more.

“Tailgating’s job is to get the excitement and the atmosphere completely ready for the game so that everyone’s excited,” said Krista Bjork, a member of the Tailgating Committee.

Twelve student organizations, such as the Nutrition Club, set up booths and sold food and other small products for fundraising, and Kord Radio provided music to hype up the atmosphere.

In order to set this homecoming game apart from all others, the Tailgating Committee decked out the stadium in streamers, posters and balloons.

This year’s tailgating event was different from any other because of the first-ever Tailgating Corn Feed.

Five hundred ears of corn were prepared and served to the fans, free of charge.

The location of the event also changed. In the past, tailgating took place underneath the stands. This year it was held on the grass between the football and baseball fields to be more inviting and open to everyone.

Flyers were handed out during the parade, inviting the community to the event.

“It’s a really fun atmosphere because we all get together for this game, so I really like being a part of it,” said Berit Walleyvand, a member of the Tailgating Committee.

Bjork had similar feelings about the event.

“It’s a good place to go before the game to be with your friends and people from Concordia,” Bjork said.