The Gaming Club

Video games, computer games, card games, board games, and even foam weapons games. Where can a Cobber find all of this fun? The Concordia Gaming Club meets every Thursday night for any of the above.

“[We play] almost everything,” said sophomore Ryan Kaiser.

The Gaming Club meets every Thursday in Bishop Whipple 49 at 7 p.m. They always start with a short meeting, and the activity follows. Not everyone stays for the activity depending on their own personal tastes, but they try to do something different every week in order to appeal to as many people as possible. Bobbie Crane says she mostly just does the anime portion of it.

“We’ve been trying to diversify the club more,” said vice president Chris Todd.

Popular picks include Halo, Rock Band, and Super Smash Brothers.

“I think there’s a lot of interest in video games,” said Todd.

“We know that a lot of Cobbers play video games, and we’d love to see more of them at our meetings,” added president Scott Lenner. The Gaming Club also regularly plays computer games, like Dungeons and Dragons, as well as board games from their extensive collection.

One game that has been seen being played around campus is Belegarth. Belegarth is fighting with foam weapons. Belegarth is a nationally recognized activity according to Lenner, who tried it in Minneapolis over the summer and introduced it to the club. Todd said that it has been a very popular activity. They usually expect at least one walk-on participant per practice because they want to try it out.

The Gaming Club also hosts some special occasion events. They recently held a Halloween party with bobbing for apples, pumpkin painting, and playing Wii. At the end of the spring semester, typically on study day, they host Gameathon. The Gaming Club rents rooms where anyone is welcome to come play games and hang out.

The Gaming Club has about twenty members that regularly attend meetings, but they also have several alumni in the area who come to meetings, as well as a few MSUM students.