The Oscars are Coming to Town!

Who’s excited for the Oscars!? I don’t know about you, but I am beside myself in anticipation to watch this night of celebration of great film. There are many great pictures up for awards, and one that I’ve mentioned in past blog posts (Silver Lining Playbook). If you haven’t looked into which films have been nominated, you should! Below I’ve given a review of Life of Pi, a film that is up for a best picture nomination along with many other awards and also a review of a short film called Paperman that has been nominated for best animated short film. I hope you that this post inspires you to watch films that have been nominated for the Academy Awards and then watch the show on ABC at 6 p.m. CST to see who will take home the hardware!
Information about the Academy Awards can be found here.

Life of Pi (2012)

Life of Pi starring Suraj Sharma as Pi Patel in his debut film tells the story of a young man who is shipwrecked in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Sounds like your typical castaway story right?  Wrong! Pi is not by himself and soon realizes that a Tiger that was on the ship has also climbed aboard his life boat, leaving him not only to battle the elements of sea storms and lack of resources but also how to not get eaten alive in his sleep. Showing the great will that humans have to survive, Life of Pi intermingles beautiful writing with incredible cinematography to tell a story that will have you constantly wondering what comes next. Indeed, the ending of this film takes one especially by surprise and leaves a viewer contemplating what is important to in his or her own life. Nominated for twelve Oscars including best picture, best director, and best cinematography, Life of Pi will have you on the edge of your seat rocking back in forth in the boat with Pi as his incredible story unfolds before your eyes.
Rating: 9 stars

Paperman (2012)

Directed by John Kahrs who has been involved has been involved with other Disney films such as A Bug’s Life, Ratatouille, and Toy Story 2, Paperman is one of the short films nominated in this year’s academy awards for best animated short. Paperman tells the story of a young man and woman who experience love at first sight, but then are separated by the different directions they are following in life. Little do they know that the most unlikely circumstance of fate will work to bring them together once again. Shot in the form of drawn animation, Paperman presents a story of the power of love and circumstance.
Rating: 10 stars