The value of a fresh perspective

Concordia’s women’s lacrosse team welcomed coach Erin Henley early this season

As the women’s lacrosse club starts their spring season, high goals are set. Aside from having a new coach, the team has expanded their practice schedules and re-centered their focus. New coach, more practices, and a bright After eight years of being a club sport, the team decided to bring in the Concordia’s former founder of the women’s club lacrosse team, Erin Hencley, to coach the women.

Since accepting her position as head coach of the team, Hencley has helped the team immensely. According to sophomore defensive player, Haley Jaeger, Hencley has provided additional guidance for the team’s newest members, while continuing to make the team stronger.

“(Hencley) has been really great at helping those players who have never played before,” Jaeger said. “She has been able to help players with individual skills by being able to focus on the way we play.”

Throughout the week the team practices three times, either in Olson or at Triumph Lutheran Brethren Church, which provides the women a more consistent schedule. Practices consist of conditioning and working on stick handling skills.

Lacrosse has been a very fast growing sport in the Fargo-Moorhead area. Not only is the on-campus team growing, but former students and lacrosse players, Johanna LaCombe and Rachel Gatz, are joining forces and coaching local high school players on a club’s team in their third season.

According to president and senior player Mackenzie Lindquist, the team currently has 17 players and is looking for many more. As of now, Lindquist looks towards the growth of the sport on campus with high hopes.

“As for growth at Concordia, we continue to get girls who have played and girls who have never touched a stick,” Lindquist said. “We encourage everyone to try and most girls who do end up really loving the sport.”

Currently, the lacrosse team is made up of numerous first time players, most of whom having little experience. One of these individuals is freshman and exchange student, Mari Aibara. Joining the team has provided Airbara with an opportunity to make memories and friends, all of whom have impacted her experience here at Concordia.

“It is really fun being on the team, since I am an exchange student, it was easier to make friends on a sports team,” Aibara said. “The girls are all very nice.”

As the team waits for their first game, which will take place on March 7, they will continue working hard on their conditioning and skills. Through fundraising the team will be able to compete in more tournaments. Lindquist is currently looking for sponsors who will help out the team.

“We sent out sponsorship letters this year so were waiting to get money back from those,” Linquist said. “Everyone who donates will get their companies name on the back of a t-shirt that we’ll wear to all of our games.”

As the team continues to tone their skills, their overall goal is enhance their  skills and grow together, all of which will help them achieve higher goals in the future. All in all, Lindquist is hoping to improve enough to jump up a division.

“Our hope moving forward is to gain a competitive edge and move up a division within our league,” Lindquist said. “Many lacrosse teams across the country hold shoot outs, tournaments and clinics; we hope to get to those one day.”