Three pairs of candidates in the running for student body president, vice president 

MOORHEAD — With the Spring semester gearing up, the Student Government Association, SGA, is gearing up to hold elections for President and Vice President of SGA.  

Six candidates were slated to officially announce their candidacies. In an email sent to all students, Jesus Gonzalez, the current student body President announced the official candidates were Sumaya Abukar, Venesa Angau, Daniel Davies, Grace Halvorson, Rachel Huynh, and Jayden Olmsted.  

Abukar, running for President, is paired with Angau as her Vice President. Abukar is currently serving as the First-Year Representative in SGA. The pair’s main goal during the election is to break down barriers and creat change for within the college, according to Abukar.  

“We also plan to revise dining hall menus by bringing healthier appetizers and entrees and introducing diverse cultures within food.” Abukar said.  

Angau, who has completed basic training in the US Army, has had two years of military leadership experience. She hopes to be a liaison to help students reach their goals.  

“By hearing directly from students, we can help them reach their goals and excel greatly. Along with this, I plan on focusing on community and civic engagement by collaborating with more organizations in the FM area” Angau said. 

Halvorson is running for President alongside Davies who is running for Vice President. Their goals include developing student relationships, professional development, and holistic wellbeing, according to Halvorson.  

“This community is special,” Halvorson said. “If we are entrusted with this leadership role, we commit to partnering with students at every stage of action”.  

Halvorson and Davies’ campaign looks slightly different this year, as they are both studying away in Washington D.C.  

“Running a campaign from across the country has been difficult, but it has also presented opportunities for innovation creativity, and new forms of connection with Cobbers.” Halvorson said.  

According to Halvorson, the two sent over 1,000 emails to students to garner support and had friends and supporters on campus displaying posters for them.  

“We have been incredibly grateful for our strong on-campus support from students who have put up posters and continually advocated on our behalf,” Davies said.  

The last pair of candidates is Olmsted running for president, with Huynh as Vice President.  

“Rachel and I are both immensely passionate about being involved in our Cobber community” Olmsted said. “We understand that for students, moving towards an organization that is not actively seeking their voice can be immensely stressful. Rachel and I want to alleviate this.”   

Both Huynh and Olmsted are currently serving in SGA.  

The pair are looking to “expand the table” with five goals. Olmsted listed these goals as establishing consistent communication with students, extending resources with student organizations, elevating marginalized groups, continually evaluate campus needs and delegating responsibility.  

The two are also planning to not look at the positions as “President” and “Vice President”, but as “Co-Presidents”.  

“To get the best solutions to highlight the best paths forward, we must collaborate with all around us” Olmsted said. “This is not going to not only be reflected in our goals, but how we function within the presidency”.  

The three pairs of candidates will take part in the SGA Presidential Debate on Friday, Feb. 9, and the election will take place on Tuesday, Feb 13 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.