Women’s tennis has unique season 

MOORHEAD – Feb. in Minnesota doesn’t scream tennis to most people, but for the Concordia women’s tennis team, their season is in full swing. During the winter months the team is able to practice and hold their home meets at the Courts Plus fitness center in Fargo. 

“We are fortunate to have Courts Plus as an indoor court facility for when we can’t play outside. This resource offers never-ending opportunities to play during the off-season with its leagues, tournaments, lessons and open court times. Our entire spring season takes place here so we have grown quite comfortable with this location,” said senior member of the team Raquel Egge. 

Even though tennis is a primarily individual sport, the team has created a supportive environment where they are all working together towards a common goal. Egge and Allan both commented on how the community they have created is one of their favorite aspects of being on the team. 

“I am also grateful for the sense of camaraderie and friendship that comes from being on the team. The Concordia tennis team has brought me multiple lifelong friendships and memories that I will always treasure,” said Egge. 

“I think what I enjoy most about the tennis team is how supportive everyone is. Even though you are competing on your own during matches, the support from the team, their parents and the tennis community is what makes me really enjoy playing tennis as it feels like we are one big family,” said Junior team member Lizzie Allan.  

The team has had six matches so far this winter, and have gotten off to a bit of a slow start with two wins and four losses. Despite this, the team still has high hopes for the season, and they have a lot of upcoming opportunities to turn it around.  

“My overall goal for the team would be to make the play-offs this year. It would be an exciting end to my career and a great opportunity for the team. Individually, I am going to try my best to receive the MIAC All-Conference Honorable Mention Award again or even strive towards All-Conference Honoree,” Egge said. 

The team also wants to see success off the court and in the classroom to go along with wins on the court. 

“I think our goal for the year is to keep our Golden Cobb for Female team GPA, we truly value our academics so getting that again would be a major achievement to get that back-to-back. I think another goal we have is making the playoffs,” Allan said.  

Looking forward, the team has an exciting opportunity to travel and play several matches in Florida over spring break. From Monday, March 4 to Wednesday, March 6 the team will be competing in five matches against teams from around the country at the United States Tennis Association national campus in Orlando. 

“I am looking forward to our Spring Break matches in Florida because the USTA National Campus is such an impressive facility. These matches are also live streamed giving family and friends from far away the chance to support us,” Egge said. 

For those interested in supporting the team when they’re closer to home, their next home match will be at Courts Plus in Fargo on Saturday, March 17 against Saint Mary’s.