Bretherton resigns as athletic director

Jeff Bretherton speaks after being named the first full-time athletic director at Concordia College in May 2017. Photo courtesy of the Forum of Fargo-Moorhead.

Jeff Bretherton has resigned as Concordia’s athletic director, less than a year after accepting the position on May 1, 2017. Bretherton was the first full-time athletic director in Concordia’s history.

Concordia released a statement last Wednesday stating, “Effective April 4, Jeff Bretherton has resigned his position and will no longer serve as Athletic Director at Concordia College. Rachel Bergeson will serve as interim Athletic Director. The planning for identifying a new athletic director will begin immediately.”

Before coming to Concordia, Bretherton was a senior development officer at St. John’s University from 1996-2003, leading a multi-million dollar campaign for athletic facilities. Most recently, he worked in Missoula, Montana fundraising for the Heart of the Rockies innitative. It was this fundraising and development background that incentivized Concordia to hire Bretherton.

Bergeson served as interim athletic director during the search that yielded Bretherton. After Bretherton was hired, she moved into a role as deputy athletic director. She will now return to her position as interim athletic director.

The Concordian has reached out to Bergeson and other athletic faculty for comment and will continue to report on this story as it develops.