Christmas concerts ultimate guide

Your ultimate guide to this year’s Christmas concerts

Concordia13C

Concordia has been abuzz ever since the October announcement that the annual Christmas concerts will be changing dates and locations. Every year, approximately 450 music students involved in orchestra and choir gather to perform in these dazzling concerts. Although it may appear as if this year will be drastically different, be assured that we will all be enjoying the same fantastic music we do every year. Here is everything you need to know about this year’s Christmas concerts:

The times, dates and location

Instead of taking place in Memorial Auditorium, the concerts will be at the Fargo Civic Center located at 207 Fourth St. N. The dates have simply been pushed back to this upcoming weekend: Dec. 13, 14 and 15. The concert times are no different than originally planned. Concerts will take place 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

The Fargo Civic Center is a significantly smaller venue than Memorial Auditorium, with 1,000 less available seats. This means audience members will be sitting much closer to the performers.

“It will be a much more intimate experience,” said Tim Wollenzien, director of cultural events, music organizations and program operations at Concordia.

The artistic side

This year’s theme and title is “Before the Marvel of this Night.” The musical selections tell an underlying story throughout the concert.

Rene Clausen, director of the Concordia Concert Choir, describes the opening as, “A world that is in the darkness of night that needs the coming of the savior.” The songs then move onto Advent, the birth of Christ, rejoicing in and conserving the beauty of God’s creation and then finally the celebration.

Although the concerts are taking place at a much different venue, many aspects will appear similar. Paul Johnson, who has been creating murals for the concert’s backdrops these past 4 years, adapted the mural to fit in the Civic Center’s smaller space.

Brian Duncan, the director of campus lights, and his crew will still be controlling the lights as they do every year. Concordia will also be bringing their own sound crew to the Civic Center.

Wollenzien, who has been part of the concert planning process this year, said, “(We) can expect the same kind of experience … I have a feeling it’s going to be more special.”

Tips and transportation

Music students who are involved in the concerts will be bussed to and from the Civic Center for the rehearsals and concerts. Transportation will also be provided for students and staff who are attending the concerts, with buses loading on the west side of the Anderson Commons an hour prior to every performance.
Those who wish to drive themselves to the Civic Center may do so. Parking is free but may be limited, so carpooling is encouraged. Parking is available in the Civic Center lot, the nearby First Bank lot and on the street.

All of the seating in the Civic Center is general admission, which means there are no assigned seats. If you wish to get a seat in front, you may consider arriving early.

This article was written by Kelly Thurmes, contributing writer.