Letter from the Editor: Dominic Erickson

I am not the first to say it: our college years coinciding with unprecedented times has been getting a little old. The curtains have been drawn back on the various systems we live by and no one seems to agree on anything. We are, however, seeing more people on a regular basis. Things are opening up. Fingers crossed we leave full-time Zoom classes in the past. Not fun.

My name is Dominic Erickson. I am majoring in communication studies and multimedia journalism. I began my time at The Concordian in the fall semester of my sophomore year by writing film reviews. Last year I was our managing editor and this year I could not be more proud to be our editor-in-chief.

My plan going into Concordia did not include journalism, much less running the campus newspaper. I found myself becoming increasingly aware of how much of an effect the media has on our daily life, and I enjoyed writing about things I felt passionate about.

This year, I’m looking forward to watching campus life grow back. I am eager to reconnect with colleagues I fell out of touch with, and I am ready to see new faces.

In the coming months especially, there will be things to celebrate. There will be some “back to normal” and some “new normal.” There will be a lot of coming to terms with the situations we have found ourselves in and who we turn to for help. I hope you can see The Concordian as something you can turn to.

This newspaper is here to amplify your voices and to show our audience just what goes on and how you feel about it. We are here to bring you local, regional, national and even international news we know you care about.

I want to continue The Concordian’s legacy as a campus publication people can rely on. I hope to expand The Concordian outside campus and to bring you local and regional news as well.

I encourage anyone to reach out to one of my talented writers or email concord@cord.edu for any pitches, tips, rumors, whisperings or opinions you would like to see covered in our publication.

As usual, we will publish every Thursday at theconcordian.org, with our print edition distributed every other week. We will continue our weekly e-newsletter, also found on the website.

I wish you the best semester you can have, and I look forward to sharing your stories.