Student body elects new President, Vice President 

MOORHEAD – The student body elected Grace Halvorson and Daniel Davies President and Vice President of the Student Government Association (SGA) respectively on Tuesday, Feb. 13.  

Ballots were emailed to all students and were open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Students could vote for Presidential candidates and class representatives, and results were to be announced in the atrium at 9 p.m. 

There were three pairs of candidates running for President and Vice President. Sumaya Abukar and Vanesa Angau, Jayden Olmsted and Rachel Huynh and Grace Halvorson and Daniel Davies. All of the candidates spent the past week campaigning and meeting with students.  

“All the candidates are so extremely qualified and are so extremely competitive. It’s really refreshing to SGA in the past two years where that atmosphere hasn’t been present. It really gives me hope that SGA can work for the students, and it will be powerful” Olmsted said.   

“Thank you for all the support,” Abukar said “I’m happy with myself and I just want the best for the future of Concordia” 

The announcement of positions hailed Halvorson the President-Elect and Davies as Vice President-Elect.  

“We are so grateful to have had the opportunity to run for student government. Thank you to Jayden, Rachel, Sumaya, and Vanesa for a dynamic, energetic campaign week and being such incredible student leaders” Halvorson said in a statement to The Concordian. “The Cobber community is special, and we’ve loved connecting with students about their passions and goals. It has been an honor to imagine a better Concordia alongside this incredible community.” 

The new SGA leadership will be asked to address the diverse challenges and opportunities facing the community. With a commitment to collaboration, innovation and student-centric decision-making, Halvorson and Davies are prepared to advocate for positive change and contribute to a campus where all students can thrive. 

“We just want to thank the student body for supporting our unconventional campaign” Halvorson said, as both her and Davies are studying away in Washington D.C. “We are so grateful to lead student government next year, and we can’t wait to get started.”