The Concordian staff writers win college journalism awards

Three staff writers of The Concordian each won first place in their respective writing categories.

Maria Klipfel, Ingrid Harbo and Jessica Miller were awarded three plaques at the College Better Newspaper Contest banquet at the Minnesota Newspaper Association convention on Jan. 27.

The pieces, submitted for judging in the summer of 2021, were written in the 2020-2021 school year.

Maria Klipfel, who took first in the Arts and Entertainment Story category. | Dominic Erickson

Klipfel’s entry was a variety piece about Concordia On-Air, the campus’ student-run weekly broadcast. Specifically, Klipfel wrote about the operations prevailing through the second full semester of the pandemic. She took first in the Arts and Entertainment Story category.

Harbo, now a regional reporter for the Grand Forks Herald, wrote her piece about the memorial service in Washington D.C. for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg a day after Ginsburg’s death. Harbo, then the editor-in-chief of The Concordian, was spending a semester away in D.C. Her piece won the Government/Public Affairs Reporting category.

Miller’s story was the front-page story detailing Concordia College’s new model of tuition announced in late September 2020. She took first in the Business Story category.

Local and regional publications come from around the state to attend networking events, informative sessions and BNC banquet at the Marriott Hotel in Brooklyn Park, MN. College publications with award nominees are invited to come. With no more than four colleges represented at the awards ceremony, the convention was much smaller than usual. Klipfel and current editor-in-chief Dominic Erickson attended the ceremony and networking events.

Student journalists from around Minnesota attended the MNA Better Newspaper Contest banquet. Maria Klipfel and Dominic Erickson representing The Concordian, far right. | Minnesota Newspaper Association