A flower tour of a wintery community

For accountants, it’s April 15. For Santa impersonators, it’s the whole month of December. For florists, it’s Valentine’s Day. 

Valentine’s Day is a day of flowers, chocolates and even stuffed animals. Businesses everywhere are rushing to make sure everyone feels appreciated on Feb. 14. Florists especially feel the heat during this season of love.

Florist Country Greenery prepares for Valentine’s Day | David Lindgren

Resting on the corner of Fifth Street South and Main Avenue in Moorhead, Minnesota, florist Country Greenery was preparing for Valentine’s Day as if everything were normal. 

Alma Cater, owner of Country Greenery, expressed that she has some concerns about sales this year. Cater explained that Valentine’s Day falling on a Sunday could affect how many people buy flowers. 

“Everyone wants to give their sweetheart flowers at work,” Cater said. 

She said that without many people in the office to see these grand displays of affection, Country Greenery might not sell as many flowers this year.

On the other hand, Cater does not quite know what to expect because of the typical buying habits of flower shoppers around this special day.

“The majority of people buying flowers for Valentine’s Day are men, and most men tend to be last-minute shoppers,” Cater said on Feb. 8.

From Country Greenery, drive West down Main Avenue and cross the Red River. Take the traffic circle’s second exit to continue onto Fargo, North Dakota’s Main Avenue. Turn right on North Broadway Drive and keep going until you cross Second Avenue North. Prairie Petals is tucked away on the left side of this tight city block in Suite 210.

Prairie Petals has seen a surge of business in light of the coronavirus pandemic, counter to other businesses in other industries, said owner Kimberly Hess.

“The florist industry is busier than ever,” Hess said.

Lovers across the country cannot see each other as often because of social distancing measures in place to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Hess explained that many have opted to send flowers as a safe way to show love.

Prairie Petals anticipated a couple of busy days ahead because of the weekend’s weather. Temperatures the weekend of Valentine’s Day were expected to range from minus two to minus twenty-four.

Hess, who has worked at Prairie Petals since 1991, said that people who might usually go out to a restaurant will choose to buy flowers or even have them delivered to avoid the frigid weather. 

Go South on North Broadway Drive and take a right onto Second Avenue North. Go straight until you see the side of the United States Postal Service building with its white pillars and barely visible federal seal from this angle. Take a left onto Roberts Street North and keep going straight. You’ll see Love Always Floral on your right, sharing its storefront with a coffee shop.

Love Always Floral shared Country Greenery’s optimism that this year’s Valentine’s Day will be typical. Much like Country Greenery, Love Always Floral’s customers tend to be last minute shoppers.  

“This year doesn’t look different yet, but we expect a lot of orders haven’t come in yet,” Christy Tehven, owner of Love Always Floral, said on Feb. 8.

Tehven’s studio flower shop specializes in flower delivery, a lucrative prospect in recent months. 

For another flower delivery service, head South on Roberts Street North as it winds and turns into Eighth Street North. Take a right onto Main Avenue. Swing a left onto 25 Street South and you’ll see Dalbol Flowers & Gifts on your left, nestled between a Thai restaurant and a salon.

Steve Wassberg, owner of Dalbol Flowers & Gifts, attributes their success throughout the pandemic to their delivery service. Since they’ve been able to deliver flowers to people as they shelter in place, Dalbol Flowers & Gifts has been thriving.

“Our business has been busier than previous years,” Steve Wassberg, the owner, said.

Wassberg elaborated further that Christmas 2020 was their busiest yet. He anticipated a similar trend for Valentine’s Day. 

Some florists were even too busy taking orders to stop and chat. ‘Tis the season.