A look into Nat Dickey’s symposium session

Echoing chatter filled the orchestra practice room at Hvidsten Hall as professor and chair of music at Concordia College Nat Dickey weaved between the chairs and music stands, listening to his audience discuss their favorite art forms. 

Despite the masks covering the audiences’ faces, their rigorous nodding, open body language and eyes alight with excitement made their passion for the topic visible.  

“What is the value and purpose of art in our life?” Dickey asks his audience as he hears voices start to fade. “How do we make a life with art?” 

Voices from around the audience chime in, referencing how art teaches empathy, communication and community. Some say a life with art is meant to encourage having fun. 

“It’s the purest form of self-expression,” said one member of the audience. 

Cari Simon, a student at Concordia and member of the audience, especially loved Dickey’s talk of inclusivity, especially since Dickey teaches music at Concordia.  

“I thought it was really amazing how he talked not only about music, but about other forms of art,” she said. “I love music, but I’m terrible at it. But even though I suck at music, this presentation helped me realize that I use music concepts in my classes.”

Comprised of faculty, staff and students from all different backgrounds, Dickey’s audience could not help hanging onto every word he said. 

However, Dickey’s words were few and far between.

Instead, he asked his audience to start the conversation and guided them towards making connections to art in their own lives. 

“It helps me see the world in a new way, and understand my role in it,” said one audience member to the crowd. 

Concordia student Sam Blake resonated with Dickey’s presentation style. She said the open conversation and limited “lecture talk” helped her grasp what Dickey was saying. 

Dickey was not alone in his presentation. Several alumni came to speak about their experiences with the arts outside of college, like Sarah Anderson of the class of 2020. 

Anderson, talking over Zoom, told the audience how the arts have helped her adapt to her ever-changing job situations.

“Right out of college, I was working odd jobs until I was offered a job as a communication specialist,” said Anderson. “There were a lot of people like me there, creative people. But that lasted about three months.” 

Anderson eventually did find a path that is right for her. She is now a wedding planner and coordinator, and she also works as a marketing and events manager for a choir based in the Twin Cities. 

“I’m surrounded by people who love music, which makes me happy even though I’m not playing it,” she said. 

Before she logged off of her Zoom call, she was sure to remind the audience of the importance the arts can have on their future careers. 

“Art has taught me that things happen,” she said. She knows how to deal with abrupt changes gracefully because of her experience in the Concordia Band. 

The screen went dark as Anderson left the meeting, and Dickey made sure to tell his audience one last thing before changing gears.

“Carving out time for the arts can be tricky,” he said. “But it is valuable.”

Then, Dickey encouraged more discussion. He asked his audience what art forms they practice, and how that adds value to their lives. 

As a room full of singers, writers, photographers and thespians, responses ranged from activities like cooking to accommodate dietary restrictions to writing songs to processing emotions.

Again, the room was full of chatter and animated conversations as Dickey asked his audience to turn to their neighbors to discuss how they practice art.

The echoes of passionate conversation traveled down the hallways of Hvidsten Hall, and Dickey watched and listened as the audience became more and more excited about art in their lives.