In defense of the Cobber Ring

A small gold and maroon band has been the victim of quite a bit of flack recently during the most exciting time of its life. It has been called a status symbol, a marketing tool and even been equated to contributing to white privilege on campus. It has also been the hot-button topic of discussion for weeks. This message comes as a defense for this victimized ring.

For me, I did not buy my Cobber ring because it showed that I was better than everyone else. I did not buy it to show that I had more money than everyone else. I did not buy it because I think I deserve it or because I am one of the special few who should get it because I did more to get it. I did not get a Cobber ring because everyone else has one so I have to have one too. I bought my ring as a reminder of my time at Concordia.

The ring symbolizes the friends I have made, the connections I have made and can make, the hard work I put into my clubs and organizations, the late nights in the Maize writing papers for IWC, the early mornings in the Hoyum lounge preparing speeches for IOC, the evenings spent in the Parke finishing up homework and so much more. My Cobber ring tells me that this place I currently call home will always be a home to me and that the work I put into it to call it home has not gone unnoticed.

Each person who attends Concordia will have something that is going to remind them of their time as a Cobber student. There will always be something that reminds them of the time they tripped up the grand staircase in the Atrium, the time they forgot how to say the word “philosophy” in front of a sizable group of students and parents during coronation, or the time they sat on the ground outside during lunch the first day of class freshman year (yes, all of those things happened to me). For me, it just happens to be a maroon and gold ring secured on my right ring finger.

Michael Chambers ‘15