Valentine’s Day event round up

MOORHEAD – Concordia routinely places emphasis on the value of community on campus. With the number of student groups and weekly events taking place any given week, there are many opportunites for students to get involved. Valentine’s week was no different.  

One of the events that took place was a Valentine’s Day party hosted by Cru, a faith-based community on Concordia’s campus. They hosts weekly worship, social hangouts and mission trips.  

Most meeting nights Cru hosts an event called ‘The Remedy’ which consists of student led worship along with a guest speaker and ends with community time.  

However, like other holiday events the group has hosted such as Christmas cookie decorating and brunches, this event was a way for the group to build community, said Elsa Watkins, a lead team member of Cru. 

“We believe through having specific community nights this allows us to grow closer together and become more like a family, where we can be vulnerable and do life together,” Watkins said. 

At the event, students could make Valentine’s cards, eat pizza and have snacks. There was also a game of musical jeopardy that was hosted and created by Cru member, Carmen Krueger. The winners of the game would get a mixed selection of prizes. 

Students were split up into teams and had to guess songs based on a section of the song being played. The different categories had a wide range of music, from Disney songs to old-rock music.  

During the final jeopardy, Cru members were asked to name and sing as many songs as they could that included the word ‘bad’. This got students to work together as they tried to write down as many songs as they could within the one-minute period. 

There ended up being a mix up of who got second place for the jeopardy, but the groups were quick to share the prizes with one another. 

“It was great to see so many Cobbers come together to hang out,” Watkins said. 

Concordia’s Campus Events Commission (CEC) also celebrated Valentine’s Day on campus by hosting Valentingo, a Valentine’s themed bingo game.  

Monthly bingo has been a part of CEC for a long time. In previous years, the event was called Singles Bingo, said Kylie Brenny, CEC’s lead commissioner.

The festivity has the same goal as most of CEC’s events, which is to provide students with on-campus experiences that include fun and where students can build relationships with one another, Brenny said.  

“We have found that Concordia students are obsessed with bingo specifically,” Brenny said. 

This is because CEC offers the winners prizes, which they try to offer frequently. 

Along with game nights and social events, there was also a lunch hosted by the Quantity Foods course, called the Lady and the Tramp Lunch. 

Concordia students Alec Hovland, Erin Borchard and Brooke Kangas led the meal and came up with the idea behind it.  

The meal consisted of spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, caesar salad and chocolate mousse with strawberries. They also had vegetarian options available to students.  

This is a way for students to use their knowledge of food safety and food service management to put on the lunch, said Betsy Cogan, the professor teaching the Quantity Foods course.